Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Elmo is not the only one that can use the potty!!!!

I never thought that something like this could be this exciting! Dane and I have been contemplating for a few months now on getting Breckin potty trained, especially after we found out we were pregnant. I will have to say for the past six months we have introduced Breckin to the potty but have NEVER been consistent...we sat him on it occasionally as if a 2 year old was just going to figure it out. I then realized that not only does the child have to be ready but so do the parents. My mindset had to completely change in order for this process to even begin correctly. After some great motivation from a good friend of mine whose child is in daycare we decided to take this head on. She had some great advice that was given to her from the daycare. We have just taken and followed the same schedule that she was given. So it came to this, now my mindset has changed and I am ready but what day do we start??? We had a very busy weekend ahead and yet I wanted to get started before I lost motivation. So Friday morning came and I had to make the decision...start today or wait until Sunday. The reason my decision was so hard was because we had the Women of Faith Conference this weekend that was Friday evening and all day Saturday. (I will post about the conference..b/c it was amazing)
So back to my decision... if I was not going to be here Friday night or Saturday that would leave my wonderful husband to be stuck with the hardest part of potty training...the beginning! Let me just say, if it was not for him I don't know how successful we would have been! He did such an awesome job and I am so proud of him for stepping up and taking on this not so fun and dreadful task! So onto more bragging.... we are now on day 5 and Breckin is successfully going to the potty...we have had one accident in 5 days. He is so smart he tells me every time he has to go!! I don't even have to watch the clock b/c he just tells me. This morning he even took it upon himself to run to the potty and sit on it all by himself and potty without even telling me that is what he was doing. I am so proud of my little buddy and the progress he has made in 5 short days. Now before you get completely jealous... we do have one problem. We can't seem to use #2 in the potty yet. No no...he does not use it in his underwear either. He just holds it. This poses one small problem b/c I don't want him to get sick. So we are working on this and just being patient that he will just eventually get it like everything else. If anyone has any advice on that issue I would love to hear.
I have been dreading this whole process for some time now b/c of all the negative things you hear and to be honest I was so scared b/c I am not the most patient person on this earth. However I truly believe that it has alot to do with staying calm, being patient and being consistent. I have also prayed about this alot because Breckin was very timid about the process at first and a little scared. I felt a little silly at first praying for something like this but God truly cares even about the small things b/c he has answered every single one of my prayers about this.
So congratulations Breckin you are such a big boy and I must say you are so darn cute running around in your little BIG BOY underwear!!! You are the most precious person I have ever met. With your sweet spirit and biggest smile you are truly the light of my life!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO BRECKIN!!!! Matti is so proud of you!!! You are such a big boy growing up so fast. One day you will have to teach your little brother or sister to use the potty too. Just like their big brother! I love you so much! Hugs and Kisses!!!

Keri said...

YEAH Breckin!!! That is a huge step girl! I am so proud of both of you and yes you do have to be ready when the child is or it just doesn't work. We are getting Cannon trained and we are having the same #2 issues. He does go in his underwear so he isn't holding it but he just doesn't get it... UGH! If you get him to do it keep us posted because I am all ears.

Brooke said...

Breckin,
I am soooooo proud of you that is awesome. I know it will a big help to your parents. I hope you all are doing great. I hate that I missed the conference, it sounds like it was really good.
Love yall
Brooke

Ingram Gang said...

Way to go Brekin!
It took Noah a few days to get the #2 thing down too. He finally went (with bribing for Jump-n-Jive) by putting his little potty seat on the big potty. He never used the little potty, but this I think made him more stable so he didn't have to concentrate on holding himself up and going also. Make sense?
Now he just goes on the big potty. It only took 1 time and he never went back to pooping in his diaper.
Good luck with that part :)

Heather said...

Yeah Breckin!!! I am so so so proud of you! You have done so amazing and have been such a big boy and it was so fun to be there and get to see it all happen. Keep up the good work buddy. I love you and miss you already!
Heather
(Beather)